التصفية والتربية وفق منهج السلف الصالح
A typical day of a fasting person in Ramadhan
- Intention. The night before you go to sleep, if forgotten then before Fajr starts and fasting day begins, make intention in the heart and mind (not verbally, no authentic proofs) that you will observe siyam the following day.
General intention all Muslims to fast Ramadhan has been made, but intention for day-to-day fasting, has to be made separately, each night.
- Suhoor (pre-dawn meal). Wake up just before Fajr starts to eat Suhoor. Anything healthy should be eaten. Even if it is just a gulp of water or dates. Suhoor is a blessing, it also gives energy for the day and Muslims should observe it so as to differ from the People of the Book, who don’t take Suhoor when they fast.
The Prophet sallal lahu alaihi wa sallam said: “Have suhoor, for in suhoor there is blessing (barakah).” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, Fath, 4/139). “Suhoor is blessed food, and it involves being different from the people of the Book. What a good suhoor for the believer is dates.” (Reported by Abu Dawood, no. 2345; Saheeh al-Targheeb, 1/448).
Delay it as much as possible.10/15 minutes before Fajr starts or depending on individuals, the amount of time they take in finishing eating.
- Pray. Pray all Fardh Salah in the Masjid if it is near by. If not, pray in Jama’at at home with your family. The least, on your own. Also pray all the Sunnah before and after the fardh (12 Rakah Rawatib Sunnan a day will entitle you to a house in Jannah), plus pray the Teraweeh at night, try to pray the Salatul Duha after sunrise. Stay in the masjid after fajr, recite Quran, make dua, do Dhikr and once sun has risen, pray atleast two rakah the reward is Haj and Umrah with the Prophet sallal lahu alaihi wa sallam.
Always pray the Fardh Salah. No good if a person fasts, yet does not pray the Fardh salah. Fasting will not be accepted by Allaah.
- Learn about the virtues, rules and regulations of Siyam, as it is from amongst the obligatory knowledge that we need to learn.
- Recite the Qur’aan whenever you get the opportunity (at home,bus,tube etc and try to understand its meanings, memorise it and live and judge by it.
- Zikr. While walking, standing, sitting. This can be done even at work. Make zikr with you tounge and mindfully, those related from the Qur’aan and the authentic Ahadeeth. Make dua of waking up, wearing clothes, entering toilet, travelling, at the time of breaking the fast etc. and after every Fardh Salat.
- Give charity, even if it is small (small, but continous is one of the best and most beloved deeds to Allah). All good deeds are multiplied more than other months. So give your Zakah, Sadakah. Zakatul Fitr is obligatory in the form of food (purchase food) to be given just before Ramadhan ends as an expiation for the sins that may have been committed and also for the poor to be happy on Eid day and rejoice with everyone.
- Provide Iftar for others if you can or donate for Iftar to other poor countries. You will get the reward of fasting of each person you provide Iftar.
- Make Du’a at the times when it is most likely to be answered according to the ahadeeth, even whenever and as much while fasting, also just before breaking the fast at Iftar time. One of the times Dua are most likely to be answered by Allaah is while fasting and especially at breaking of the fast. Make Du’a for yourself, your family, relatives, for the Muslim Ummah and for the guidance of non-Muslims and humiliation for the oppressors.
- Haste in breaking the siyam, as soon as the day ends. Recite the Dua for Iftar; zahabaz zamau wab tallatil uruq wa sabatal ajru insha’Allaah. (Thirst is gone, veins are flowing again, and the reward is certain, in sha Allaah).” (Reported by Abu Dawood, 2/765; its isnaad was classed as hasan by al-Daaraqutni, 2/185).
Break siyam with dates and water.
Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him): “The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to break his fast with fresh dates before praying; if fresh dates were not available, he would eat (dried) dates; if dried dates were not available, he would have a few sips of water.” (Reported by al-Tirmidhi, 3/79 and others. He said it is a ghareeb hasan hadeeth. Classed as saheeh in al-Irwa’, no. 922).
Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The people will be fine so long as they do not delay iftaar.” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, Fath, 4/198).
- Haste in praying Maghrib Salat. Rasool sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam said the Muslim Ummah will remain upon goodness so long as we hasten to break our fast and hasten to pray Maghjrib. Break siyam with dates and water. Allow two Rakat to be prayed, make dua, etc between Azan and iqamah -5 minutes – and pray Maghrib. Then one can sit and eat a moderate meal.
If your local Masjid does delay their Maghrib by 10/15/20 minutes or more because of eating, still pray in the Masjid. Give the masjid authority advice and Allaah will hold the Imam and the management accountable and know that the Imam and management are holding back the goodness, honour, victory for the Ummah.
- Go for Esha and Teraweeh. Try to pray in a Masjid that prays eight Rakah Teraweeh and prays three Rakah Witr different from Maghrib Fardh. If one prays more or less than eight Rakah, it is permissible, but the Sunnah is eight and more rewarding, plus it shows our love for the Sunnah.
Disobey Allah by committing sins, keep away from the major sins. But as humans and with our weaknesses and lack of ilm, weak eeman and the society environment we live in, everyone commits minor sins, so long as we don’t take it lightly, as soon as we realise we have committed a sin, we must hasten to repent and rectify ourselves. Purpose of fasting is to attain Taqwah. Fasting is meant to restrain us from committing sins. So that after Ramadhan we remain like this conscious having taqwah fear of Allah throughout the whole year.
Do not Waste time
Do not be idle –doing nothing
Do not Backbite, slander, gossip
Do not Listen to music
Do not Watch films or anything non beneficial
Do not free mix, even if the intention is free from evil thoughts, or the intention is good. Talk that which is necessary and minimal.
Do not Cook too much and extravagantly
Do not Sleep too much
(These are just some of the Do not)
May Allah give us all the ability to observe Siyam properly – for His sake and according to the Sunnah. May Allaah make us benefit from it, attain Taqwah, increased Eemaan, knowledge and action. And remain steadfast upon obedience in Ramadhan and outside of it, until death. Aameen.